Winter is around the corner hence the need for rich and creamy comfort food. So I have decided to make some Indian food - butter chicken with biryani and cumin papadums. Made this a few days ago, the butter chicken was so rich in flavour and i loved it. but i made it from the instant sauce (just add chicken) so i didn't put in any effort. However, I did make the fragrant biryani from scratch and it turned out good! Except i used long-grain rice instead of basmati rice, so it was not dry enough, didnt know there was a difference, but now i know. Added sultanas to it to make it extra tasty :) The papadums were also a delight to make, all i have to do is get these inexpensive packs of papadums ($1+ a pack) and microwave them for a minute in the microwave.
The turmeric does stain so use glass/ceramic bowls
2 cups of basmati rice
1 tbspoon turmeric powder
1inch cinnamon stick
1 star anise
5 Cardamom pods
1 tspn ginger powder
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups basmati rice
2 tbspoon oil
1 1/2 tspn salt
3 1/2 cup chicken stock (i use those cubes where you just add boiling water, saves time and $$)
2 medium potatoes cut into chunks
For the chicken - i just cooked it with the instant butter chicken sauce.
garnish: sultanas and sliced almonds
- wash rise well and soak for at least 30 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- add 2 tspn of oil and brown potatoes, then put them aside.
- Heat the oil, and fry onion until light brown, add turmeric powder, cardamom, cinnamon stick, star anise, ginger powder and rice
- Fry stirring continuously until rice is totally coated with the oil and spices
- Heat chicken stock and salt. Pour the hot stock over rice mixture and stir well, bring to boil.
- Add brown potatoes and 1/2 cup of the cooked butter chicken with sauce
- Cover sauce pan tightly, turn heat to very low and steam for 20 minutes. DO NOT LIFT the lid or stir while cooking - i had to lift the lid because i forgot to add the star anise in!! no worries, nothing major happened. everyone is still well!
- Dish out the Biryani onto a serving dish. Garnish with slice almonds and sultanas and serve immediately.
The recipe is from here but i changed it a little to make it easier,faster and it is suitable for lazy people who craves for biryani like me.
Another recipe that i referred to is here.