Wednesday, August 26, 2009

MissFattyFoodie's Special - Fairy Cupcake with Mandarin Marmalade

Perth



MissFattyFoodie bakes again!
My urge to do some baking was so strong I went to visit a few baking shops and they were closed! Why do the shops in Perth close so early?!?!?!
On a Saturday morning, I got up and started getting ready to visit this baking shop near my house. I arrived at the shop (which was near my house) at 1pm and found out that they close at 12.30pm!!!!!! :(((((((((((((((((((
I was sooo disappointed, but i decided to go to Fremantle (again!) to check if the baking shop there is open. I went the day before at 5.45pm and they close at 5.30pm. I told you luck is never on my side!
I always visit this very small and cute baking shop along Market Street.
The store assistants there are always so friendly, approachable and helpful. I brought my piping bag along so she can tell me what connectors I can attach to it, and she gladly showed me all the tips and connectors I can choose from!
I bought a few of my muffin/cupcakes holders from this shop before. The prices are reasonable but may be slightly higher than what you can get from the grocery stores. There are a lot of baking stuff available here, if you cant find the baking supplies you want in your grocery stores, come here and get it!
They have very pretty cupcake holders and cake decorations. I always cannot resist and will buy a few home!

Location: The Home Provedore Baking Essentials35 and 39 Market Street. +61 8 9430 9334

I happily bought the stuff I need and went home to bake...


Fairy Cupcake with Homemade Mandarin Marmalade


I don't usually bake a lot (until recently) and my previous cupcakes have turned out to be complete disasters. This cupcake is less sinful than the ones with the frosting on top (i love those too!) and it is very pretty as well! Inspired by my good friends who love to bake, I have developed a passion for cupcakes recently and I will share more of my bakes on the blog!

For the cupcake I used the recipe below, for more convenience you can just use a prepacked buttercake mix.

Vanilla Cupcake Recipe (from Women Weekly MIX): makes 24

125g butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (60ml) milk

additional: 1/2 cup of thickened cream, whipped or instant whip cream.

1. Preheat over to 180C/ 160C fan-forced. Line two deep 12-hole patt pans with paper cases.
2. Beat butter, extract, sugar, eggs, flour and milk in small bowl of electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are just combined. Increase speed to medium, beat about 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and changed to a paler colour. Drop slightly rounded tablespoons of mixture into paper cases.
3. Bake cupcakes about 20 minues. Turn cakes, top-side up, onto wire racks to cool.
4. Meanwhile, whip the thickened cream.

I used Devondale butter (in Australia) as it is very rich and makes better cookies/cakes.
I bought a bigger muffin tray for my cupcakes so I can save time and not bake them in separate sessions. This is the reason why I baked fairy cupcakes - My colleague's home-made sweet mandarin marmalade.
Plain vanilla cupcakes cooling on the rack

Take a sharp and small vegetable knife and cut a circle in the middle of the cupcake around 1cm deep. Put the whipped cream into the 'hole' and put the mandarin marmalade or jam on top.
Cut the circle that was removed from the cupcake into half. Put another layer of whipped cream in the centre of the cupcake, and stick the semi-circles in the middle as the fairies' wings.

Sprinkle icing sugar at the top and put them in a glass dome for better presentation! You can even be creative and put pieces of fruits on top of the cake.

I hope you will try this very simple cupcake recipe!

Share them with your friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment