Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Singapore - Maxwell Nonya Kueh

What will make a good breakfast/tea snack that is cheap and good, plus keep the hunger pangs at ease?
I found just the thing at Maxwell Market! I've been going to this stall since I was in school.
I love this stall because everything is handmade and fresh, plus the quality of the kueh is so good it is always not enough. Here's a shot of Maxwell Market. Well ventilated with ceiling fans. It does get a little overwhelming during lunch time where the humidity and office crowd drives everyone insane.


Click Here to Read More
Go early to avoid disappointment. This stall always has a queue though thank goodness it moves quite quickly.



The auntie was making ondeh-ondeh and since I was waiting for it, I took a photo of her at work.



My all time favourite. Tapioca cake coated with grated coconut flakes, 3 for $1. It is so soft and has a melt-in-your-mouth texture I sometimes think that 3 is not enough!


The crowd favourite is the ondeh ondeh. which is mochi like dessert filled with gula melaka (brown sugar mixture) and coated with grated coconut flakes.3 for $1 as well, this kueh is always a sell out each time a new batch comes out and people don't mind waiting for the new batch to come out becuase it is that good.
Bite into the soft layer of kueh and the liquid coconut explodes into your mouth. Eating it when its fresh out from the stove is simply orgasmic.



I've another favourite, Lor Ma Qi, 40 cents for one with either peanut or coconut fillings. I didn't manage to take any photos of it this time so I will probably update that another time. But this is my second favourite because the skin is so soft and chewy, plus the filling inside is generous and sweet (I always buy the peanut one). Really value for money.

Rating 4.5/5
Location is at #01-31 Maxwell Road Food Centre Operating Hours: 8am - 2pm (Closed on Sundays)

No comments:

Post a Comment